Today, Trichomoniasis is regarded as one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases found amongst young women. However, it is also regarded as one of the most easily curable. The disease is caused by a single celled parasite called the Trichomoniasis vaginalis. While most common amongst women, it can also be found in men with the vagina being the most common area of infection for women and the urethra most common amongst men.

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms will emerge anytime between five and twenty eight days after initial infection. For women, the most common symptoms amongst women are a green or yellow coloured vaginal discharge accompanied by a strong odour. The female genitals may also become irritated become raw and itchy. Pain may also be experienced during sex, passing urine and lower abdomen. In men, the irritation centers on the penis. Some mild discharge may come from the urethra. Men may also experience a painful burning sensation when urinating. However, in the majority of cases, men will act as carriers rather than sufferer symptoms.

What can Trichomoniasis lead to?

If exposed to the disorder women can become more susceptible to the HIV virus and also passing it on. Furthermore, pregnant women that contract the disorder may be at risk to premature birth.

How can I diagnose it?

A physical exam is administered by a doctor. This involves a pelvic exam for women and examination of the genitals for men. The doctor will look for small red sores and take fluid samples from the cervix in female cases and urethra in male. These samples are placed on glass slides and examined in a lab to determine their bacterial nature. Results should usually be produced within a week.

How can I treat it?

The doctor will most likely prescribe Metronidazole with Flagyl the most popular version of the medication. This is simply administered in one oral dose. It should take a week to cure the disease and a follow up consultation is always advised to check that it has completely cleared. Pregnant women must always consult an obstetrician before use, especially with earl pregnancies.

Where can I go?

Sexual health and genitor urinary medicine clinics offer diagnosis, medication and advice on dealing with the disease; however it is also just as simple to consult with your local doctor. They should be able to adequately administer and diagnose the condition.

Related Articles